In our last post, we shared some of our best activities around Reston Town Center to prevent childhood summer “brain drain,” so to keep the summertime fun rolling, here are the rest of our top 10 fun learning activities!
1. If you’re looking for something the whole family can do together on Saturday mornings from 10 – 10:45 am, the Family Fun Entertainment Series at Reston Town Square Park is just the ticket. Performances run through August 11 and include mischievous mime antics, puppet shows, magic, live music and more! There is plenty of seating space and grass for a picnic and be sure to not miss the free Rocknocerous concert coming up on July 28 – their music is fun for kids AND adults!
2. Summertime creates some of the best memories, so if you’re feeling crafty, you can make a summer fun scrap book with pictures and keepsakes from trips, outings, or even crafts! Paper Source has funky paper, hundreds of stickers and sparkly, creative embellishments for all your pages and FedEx can help with the printing and cutting. This gives your kids a cool indoor activity where they get to be the creative captain!
3. This summer has been extremely hot, but if you’re tired of the pool, you could bring the little ones down to the interactive fountain in Reston Town Square Park to splash around and cool off. The fountain is open 9 am – 10 pm, Monday – Sunday, and at noon on Saturdays through August 11 after the Family Fun Entertainment Series.
4. If you want to tire the little ones out, a bike ride or nature walk might do the trick. The W&OD trail is right next to Reston Town Center; The Bike Lane and Potomac River Running can get you set up with all the equipment you could need like a jogging stroller or kids bikes. The Bike Lane even rents out adult bikes on a daily basis if yours has gone the way of the garage sale!
5. You have to make lunch, right? Well, might as well pack it in to-go boxes for a picnic in the park! They’ll have so much fun they won’t even notice the veggies in their lunches. There are benches, trash cans and plenty of shaded grass to spread out on in Presidents Park & Hyatt Park in front of the Hyatt Regency Hotel. Enjoy the outside fun and explore with your kids how being active and healthy foods help their brain and bodies grow!
Whew! That should keep them busy for a while. But if you have superhuman children and still need more ideas, check out the Reston Town Center events calendar or our “Kids Activities Around the Town” Pinterest board for some pintastic fun!
And even though we’re full swing into summer and don’t want to think about school, mark your calendars: Virginia’s tax free weekend for back-to-school shopping is coming up on August 3-5 where qualifying school supplies selling for $20 or less per item, and purchases of qualifying clothing and footwear selling for $100 or less per item will be exempt from sales tax.